5/9/10

The Internal War

In the midst of a firestorm,
Two sides wanting the kill,
Fight for each other's death.

War has left me scarred,
But empowered as well.
Living in the shadows of those before me,
I push on with the fight.

Thousands fall at my hand,
And the hands of those around me.
I don't like killing,
But sometimes it's necessary.

The line between friend and foe blurs.
I'm unsure which hand to hold,
When trust could cost you your life.
And when distrust could cost you the lives of others.

I'm forced not to get close to anyone,
For any day can be their death,
For any day they can betray you,
And I struggle with the weakness
That binds me to others.

In the midst of a firestorm,
Both of us wanting the kill,
We fight for each other's death,
And the lives of those beside us.
The lives of those we love.

I was inspired for this one while writing a short story about a war. This is what I meant on that sidebar- I touch on love a bit, but nothing gushy.