7/8/10

Jump

With noble restraint we approach
Saving the wild energy for a time greater needed... and desired.
Dormant fire is held captive within a graceful beast
Only to be released at command.

In a flurry, a takeoff
I give all I can give, all that's been held.
This miracle of a beast takes all, showing no hesitation,
No mercy to the voices apprehending
This release of sleeping drive pushes two into a pioneering flight.

Dominating this obstacle
Beast becomes transportation to a parallel
Something only seen in imagination, time stands still,
The world fades into the harsh reality of forced overcoming that stands true.
And with it we are set free.
Free to claim this frontier as our own.
Man takes in the beautiful air of his fantasy
And beast flies along taking his claim of the sky.

Gravity can only pull down
Two minds and spirits so high.
Snapped back into the inevitable landing
We are driven back from what now is ours.
No fear returns
Of either man nor beast flying away
For when we embrace the ground once more
We are held within each other's arms
And there is nothing left
Of the doubt of gain such as we.

Yes, enduring are we.
Another chance presents itself as a gift.
We hold back and take off
Only to find in the fact that for every journey that concludes
A bright way shines its light anew.

Believe it or not, this poem is about jumping on a horse. The freedom and spirit I feel when I'm jumping can only be expressed like... THIS.
Yes, people often ask me what my hobbies are and I either answer "I'm a rider" or "I'm a writer", and being the fast speaker I am, people often get the two confused as they stumble their ways out of my mouth. When they ask me to confirm whether I said "rider" or "writer", it's days like these where I'm very proud and relieved to say I'm both.