7/8/10

Come Home

I was sent to your side as a request
To spy and betray
To prove that you had become something you never were
Twisted
Broken
Evil

But I watched as others acted to hurt
Lost amongst your supposed allies
You shut your eyes, not bearing the sight.

But your fear held onto your loyalties
To those who called themselves friends.

You aren't who they say
You aren't one of them.
I can see past those eyes
I can see into you and know your heart
That it is still there and beating
Unlike the endless void that has encased theirs.

They are driven by narcissism
A head full of themselves
To compensate for the fading echoes
Of what used to be a heart, a home.

But yours is alive
It is very much there.
You still have love, honor
Unlike they who have shed it for approval.

They live off others' downfall.
They live off their own gain.

So keep you head on your shoulders
Not on a pedestal

And keep your heart deep within you
And there it will stay.

And keep my words close
Because I stand
Waiting for the day you come home.

OKAY... This poem can be interpreted in a LOT of ways. I originally got the inspiration from a short story (sound familiar?) about a double agent sent to uncover secrets about someone who used to be a friend but now has joined the EVILLLL side (And yes, the L's are VERY necessary.) but really finds out that they haven't turned all bad.
BUT, the more I read this, the more it started to turn into the subject of peer pressure- something very common in my middle school world.
AND THEN it turned into (vaguely) a story of a person who has changed their ways on their own terms... and possibly narrated from the point of a freind who misses the old "them."
So take it whatever way you take it. I'm honestly here to write, but not necessarily to know what I write or why the heck I write it.